Sunday, August 12, 2012

.::Sunday Social::.



1) If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

 

Probably pasta. I could definitely eat it everyday and, sometimes I do. Very filling, yummy, and versatile.

 

2) What's your guilty pleasure/comfort food?

 

Cake. But not chocolate cake. If it was between eating chocolate cake and no cake at all, I'd probably choose no cake at all.

 

3) What's the weirdest/craziest thing you've ever eaten?

 

I don't go too weird with food. I mean, I've had sushi and that was okay (salmon sushi--tasted like mandarin oranges to me.) I had frog legs once--really did taste like chicken. But that's about as far as I'll go. 

 

4) What foods do you avoid at all costs?

 

Pet animal foods. You know, like rabbit, squirrel, horse. Ew.

 

5) What meal reminds you of your childhood?

 

Just basic comfort food like chicken and mashed potatoes or chilli--things like that.

 

6) Share one of your favorite recipes and the story behind it.

 

From: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-roll-ii/

Pumpkin Roll

This isn't the exact recipe I use, but its pretty close. I make these every year. People LOVE them. The only real difference in how I make them and this recipe is that I don't use nuts or dust the roll with confectioner's sugar or use parchment paper. I have one of those silicone non-stick sheets that I sit down on in my tray beforehand instead. This is the only type of roll I've successfully made. I've tried to make a chocolate yule log before but that ended disastrously because the house we were renting at the time had a SLANTED kitchen floor (which I didn't realize at the time) so the roll tilted to one side on the baking sheet in the oven and was burnt on one side lol. But these pumpkin rolls are really so yummy and I make them every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas and even made a few for gifts last year because so many people look forward to them. Enjoy! I feel like making one now....

 

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • confectioners' sugar for dusting
  •  
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 8 ounces cream cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 15x10x1 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper. Grease and flour the paper.
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high for five minutes. Gradually add white sugar and pumpkin. Add flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Spread batter evenly in pan. Sprinkle walnuts evenly on top.
  3. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately turn out onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners sugar. Peel off paper and roll cake up in the towel, starting with the short end. Cool.
  4. To Make Filling: Mix confectioners sugar, vanilla, butter or margarine, and cream cheese together till smooth.
  5. Carefully unroll the cake. Spread filling over cake to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up again. Cover and chill until serving. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar, if desired.

 

3 comments:

  1. a pumpkin roll!? that's cool. thanks for sharing. Glad to be a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Slanted floor...I wouldn't have even thought about that affecting my food! Maybe that is why I burn everything! LOL!

    Found you thru the Sunday Social...and I'm your newest follower! YAY!

    Tif
    Ramblings of a Southern Belle
    http://www.her-southern-ramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete